Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dedicated Suggestions Thread: Weapons
Weapons come in all shapes, sizes, functionality, and even designs! Halo's core gameplay is very heavily reliant on these cool, unique, and sometimes ridiculous weapons. Here's a small guide for how to write a suggestion for a weapon, which you can make by posting a reply here!

Name: [This is the Name of the weapon, can be placeholder]
Faction:* [Which Faction in the halo universe does this weapon belong to? This generally should help dictate what it shoots and how!]
Weapon Class:* [What kind of weapon is this? Is it a support item like a turret, a small arm like the pistol, a rifle like the carbine, or a heavy like the rocket launcher?]
Projectile:* [What does this gun shoot?]
Projectile Speed: [How fast does this projectile travel?]
Fire Rate: [How Fast does this weapon fire?]
Niche:* [Where does this weapon excel? Short Range, Long Range, Extremely Close Range?]
Description:* [Describe your weapon as best you can!]
Extra: [Anything else you wish to include with your suggestion. Be warned that all images MUST be included as spoilers!]

*required*

Remember, these weapons are meant to be in the halo universe, so generally try to take inspiration from what could feasibly exist. As another note, please do not make suggestions for weapon variants, as we will most likely not be including them in our game. Try to also remember that everything must be balanced for multiplayer, so try not to make a weapon that's overpowered.
"If you want to kill someone, you should be prepared to die yourself. Do not take that responsibility lightly!"
[Image: 24wajya.png]

Name:AIW-MK1
Faction: Human
Weapon Class:Semi automatic Rifle
Projectile: Energized Bullet
Projectile Speed: Very slow (H3 Br or slower)
Fire Rate: Very fast (Close to Carbine)
Niche: Close to Mid range
Description: A fast shooting rifle that looks like a H5 BR without a scope that cannot be aimed in with. Its slow moving bullets make it hard to land shots at long ranges. It would be a 3 head shoy to 5 body shot kill or maybe a 5 head shot to 8 body shot kill. Reguardless it would be interesting

@Fred, my first impression is asking "how would it fit into the sandbox fairly?"
I'm not sure why you would need this gun when the Carbine and BR already cover the mid range distance well. Having essentially a Human version of the Carbine seems maybe unnecessary? Plus the DMR already exists (admittedly a slower shooting experience) but the devs made the active decision to not include it, and may feel the same about this suggestion for similar reasons. Not to be mean, just putting it out there Smile
[Image: plate_by_stevedoggen-db4q2kn.png]

(04-18-2017, 07:10 AM)Stevedoggen Wrote: @Fred, my first impression is asking "how would it fit into the sandbox fairly?"
I'm not sure why you would need this gun when the Carbine and BR already cover the mid range distance well. Having essentially a Human version of the Carbine seems maybe unnecessary? Plus the DMR already exists (admittedly a slower shooting experience) but the devs made the active decision to not include it, and may feel the same about this suggestion for similar reasons. Not to be mean, just putting it out there Smile

It almost sounds like a reincarnation of the Reach pistol (5 headshot kill, fast rof) with projectiles and no scope, in rifle form.

(04-18-2017, 07:10 AM)Stevedoggen Wrote: @Fred, my first impression is asking "how would it fit into the sandbox fairly?"

Oh ok, I was trying to think of a new kind of almost CQB style of weapon using a semi-automatic weapon that is not necessarily a shotgun or a sword/hammer.

I really hope this changes. Having too many weapons would be a problem but having some variety could really make the game a more fun experience. In older Halo games I practiced and became good the the BR because it was such an important weapon. The DMR I actually loved using. I hope this changes and it does get included.

(05-14-2017, 08:18 PM)TheGoob Wrote:

I really hope this changes. Having too many weapons would be a problem but having some variety could really make the game a more fun experience. In older Halo games I practiced and became good the the BR because it was such an important weapon. The DMR I actually loved using. I hope this changes and it does get included.

But you have to justify the inclusion of new weapons by making them different from the other weapons to a great enough extent. As more weapons are added, balancing becomes increasingly difficult, especially when weapons fill the same niche. Both the BR and DMR match mid-range, but the DMR also matches long-range, so why not just use a sniper instead? I also have a hard time justifying the spiker, since there are so many fully automatic weapons already, many of many of which you can also dual-wield. Conversely, I think that the mauler is justifiably different from the shotgun to include it. You get more variety from adding completely different weapons, not by adding weapons with slight changes to them. Having a small pool of weapons also creates a more distinct weaponset, which is good for both identifying and learning the game. 

I would personally much rather have the carbine, rather than the DMR or similar semi-automatic weapon. Some may not like the carbine, but it's pretty different from the BR (at least more than the DMR), and it's a lot more interesting than the DMR. I'm also a little biased, since I've always liked Covenant weapons more than UNSC weapons.

But you have to justify the inclusion of new weapons by making them different from the other weapons to a great enough extent. As more weapons are added, balancing becomes increasingly difficult, especially when weapons fill the same niche. Both the BR and DMR match mid-range, but the DMR also matches long-range, so why not just use a sniper instead? I also have a hard time justifying the spiker, since there are so many fully automatic weapons already, many of many of which you can also dual-wield. Conversely, I think that the mauler is justifiably different from the shotgun to include it. You get more variety from adding completely different weapons, not by adding weapons with slight changes to them. Having a small pool of weapons also creates a more distinct weaponset, which is good for both identifying and learning the game.

I would personally much rather have the carbine, rather than the DMR or similar semi-automatic weapon. Some may not like the carbine, but it's pretty different from the BR (at least more than the DMR), and it's a lot more interesting than the DMR. I'm also a little biased, since I've always liked Covenant weapons more than UNSC weapons. -JaggyNos

I can't disagree with this. I want the DMR because it became my favorite rifle but your point about balancing and not different enough is impossible to argue against. Back in the days of halo 2 I did like the carbine more than the BR but I really only got to use it in a game mode called "Team Rifles". If they won't add the carbine, they should make it more accessible instead of it being as scarce as it was. On Ivory Tower (halo 2), there was only one. As for Halo 3, I can't remember where one specifically was because of how uncommon it was.

Your point was solid but then I guess there should be more Carbines. They were so rare to the point where they were barely a part of the game unless you played a unique game mode. This gets a bit off topic for the discussion so maybe we'll end this here? I hope that we see more carbines in this game vs what was in previous Halo games.